Thursday, March 15, 2018

Cardinals Appear When Angels are Near

There are people who say that seeing a cardinal is a visit from a loved one who has passed away. The saying goes, 

"Cardinals appear when angels are near."

When my mom was alive, she loved the cardinals that nested in her yard. She would point them out to me, and we would listen for their loud chirping. 

Cardinals mate for life. (I like that kind of commitment.) The male cardinal is bright red (my favorite color), and the female is a pale brown with red markings. Cardinals don't migrate but remain in the immediate area all year long.


I get excited when I see a pair of the beautiful birds that visit the trees behind my home. In the fall and winter, I can spot them easily when I hear their chirping. They're beautiful to see in a freshly fallen snow. In the summer, they are a little harder to spot as they fly among the leaves, but their chirping lets me know they are there. 

So I'm not sure I believe that the cardinals are visits from angels, I do feel closer to my mom and the memories I have of her when I see them. I love cardinals.


5 comments:

  1. Karen, I have never heard this, but I love this idea! There are two pairs of cardinals that live in the pine trees at the back of our yard. I will be looking at them with new eyes (and heart) next time I see them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had heard that saying and totally forgot until just now. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard that saying. I cannot wait until I see my next cardinal. I do love them so! Thank you for sharing this slice.
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your post, Karen! We have many feeders, and they attract a lot of cardinals. I loved reading about visits from angels. I will think about this every time I see ine in my backyard. Thank you, Karen! This post is easy-going and peaceful. I think your gift to everyone around you. You speak about flowers, birds, loved ones. That calmness, serenity - your aura. Your gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this, Karen! My Dad passed away 19 years ago today. I will always think of him when I see a beautiful cardinal!

    ReplyDelete