Sunday, March 17, 2019

Energy

 This post is for Day 17 of the 2019 Slice of Life Challenge. Thanks to the Two Writing Teachers for bringing this community of writers together to share our writing in the month of March.


I have been nursing a respiratory infection for a week. I've been miserable but will not be complaining here. I know at some point I will be feeling better. But where did my energy go? I haven't felt like doing anything but sitting in my favorite chair in the living room!

However, I needed a few groceries today. So I set out this morning with my list of what I needed. We were out of milk and how could we go on without a gallon of milk in the fridge! My list wasn't long so I entered the store and started collecting what I needed. It wasn't long before my feet started feeling heavy and I would need to finish. I checked off my list and headed home. Oh, but when I got home I still needed to put those groceries away!

Then I realized that I needed to do a load of laundry. So I marched down the steps to the basement, sorted the laundry, put a load in the washer and made my way back upstairs. It wouldn't be long before I needed to switch the clothes from the washer to the drier. So I made another trip downstairs and upstairs and back downstairs and upstairs to bring the load of clothes up because I needed to fold them.

So many other little things needed to get done today. Somehow I managed enough energy to do them - at least most of them. But wait! Tomorrow is Monday and I have a boxing class to go to at the gym. 

We'll see!

5 comments:

  1. You did observe that all these are needs not wants. I hope you find some balance and get some wants in as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The needed parts of our life something's weigh us down, Karen. I had a sinus infection for 3 weeks and now I am trying to get back to a normal pace. Remember to rest because these infections are all-consuming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how the repetition of needed pushed the tone and mood of the piece. I literally felt myself struggle to get out of my chair as I read it. You crafted this beautifully. You may be tired but you can still knock it out of the park with your writing. Hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The daily needs we have sometimes supersede the need to take care of ourselves. I hope you get to bed early tonight and get some NEEDED rest! Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete