Friday, March 9, 2018

Thimbles tell the story...


My mother was a collector of thimbles. Not the plain silver ones that many sewers use but decorative ones she collected over the years. She had this miniature hutch that she displayed them in. 


It seemed to me a great collection that marked the years, the people and the travels in her life. She was often given thimbles as gifts. She purchased them   tiny gift shopswhen she traveled from she discovered on the way. 


I was drawn to her collection enough to start collecting them myself. Over the years, I fancied many thimbles enough to add them to my collection. 


My mother passed away a few years ago, and her thimbles were handed down to me. So I have meshed her collection and mine. When life slows down enough, for me to take notice of them lined up in my breakfront, I warm inside at the connection of her heart and mine.


4 comments:

  1. Wow! I didn't know thimbles were artwork! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who knew that there were so many different thimbles? These are gorgeous! I love collections...and I think this is the first thimble collection I've ever seen. Treasure it always! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful. I love collections - they always tell a story. Do you have a grandchild who seems to be taking interest in them? It would be fun to keep the tradition going.
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clare, my granddaughter is only 7 and has not yet taken an interest but she may someday.
    She is often interested in the things that belonged to my mom. She's seems to understand that close family connections.

    ReplyDelete