Sunday, March 27, 2016

Bookmarks From the Heart

I am fascinated with bookmarks. I have collected some interesting ones over the years. But some of my favorite bookmarks come from the heart. Let me explain.

My mother's generation always sent cards in the mail - birthday cards, anniversary cards, get well cards. Of course, that was when the cards and the postage were inexpensive. It seems like my Mom was either sending cards or getting cards. Once the cards were opened, Mom would stand them up on the shelves in our kitchen - always a nice reminder of the kindness of family and friends. It saddens me that the tradition has gone by the wayside. Cards have become expensive as well as the postage. It is a tradition that is losing ground. 

However, my Mom found a way to re-purpose those cards. She would cut out the prettiest images from the cards into small bookmark shapes. She was a voracious reader and she would always have one of her bookmarks moving along the pages of the book as she read. There was a little basket on the kitchen counter that was always full of her bookmarks. She would be quick to offer a bookmark to those who came to her house with a book in their hand.

And so I continue the tradition.

While fewer cards come in the mail, I always fashion a new bookmark from each card before I recycle it. The joy is two-fold. I have a lovely new book mark and I remember the kindness of the person who sent the card. My bookmarks are in a little basket on my desk.

So if you stop by my house with a book in your hand, I will be sure to offer you one of my bookmarks from the heart. 



I am participating in the 
March Slice of Life Challenge.
Each day we post our thoughts.
Thank you, Two Writing Teachers!

Day 27 - Bookmarks From the Heart

7 comments:

  1. You are so right about our parents' generation being big card senders and receivers. Definitely another change as email and facebook birthday posts become the cheaper way to send kind words. I love your book mark idea! I may need to figure out where you live and drop by one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. I am always wondering what to do with cards. I usually have a small box with bookmarks for kids to take. I am going to gather some cards and make them into bookmarks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful tradition you have continued! And a nice way to remember someone thoughtful enough to send a card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet tradition to carry on. As a teacher I seemed to have been gifted many bookmarks, and have shared many through the years. I do have a few favorites, Karen, do you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a great way to repurpose beautiful cards especially when they cost so much money to be just throwing them away. You have inspired me to start saving my old cards I get so I can make unique bookmarks for the kids at school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this tradition! It would also work for school, when kids are always asking me for bookmarks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen, this is so sweet, and reminders me of all of the cards that we received as kids. Mom did the same thing at our house; I can still see them all lined up along the TV set and along the coffee table. There were always tons for her birthday. I am terrible at sending cards but I love to receive them. It is definitely going by the wayside, must to my chagrin. But what your mother did with the cards was really special, and I am going to take that idea and do it myself. We used the backs of Christmas cards for notes, and sometimes to attach to gifts as tags, but never bookmarks. Thanks for a sweet memory.

    ReplyDelete